Make a difference this Prime Day: Shop small & save with Woofles: 15% OFF Site Wide - Free Tracked 24 Shipping on orders over £40 - No Codes Required

Keeping your Woofle safe at Christmas

‘Tis the season to be jolly and Christmas is a wonderful time of year to spend quality time with loved ones. Of course, this also means your furry friend! Whether it’s bounding around out in the snow or playing with a new toy at home, Christmas can be a fun time of year for your dog. But it can also be a hazardous one if you’re not careful. From toxic foods to scary noises, there are some things you should look out for to make sure your beloved companion is happy and content this Christmas.




Encourage a Silent Night

There’s always a sigh of relief for dog owners when Guy Fawkes night ends. But there can still be fireworks over the festive period, as well as other loud, unfamiliar noises. For example, this can include crackers at the dinner table and evening popping a champagne bottle. For some dogs that are sensitive to loud noises, this can be scary. The best thing you can do to minimise any distress is to play music in the background and try to act normal. As the pack leader, if you don’t find it scary, this can calm them down. Try to keep a normal routine for your pooch and when there are loud noises, play a game or learn new tricks with treats. You can also make sure your dog has a safe space to retreat to if he or she doesn’t feel comfortable. This can be a familiar and warm bed, as well as their favourite toys.




Purchase a Fireguard

After being out in the freezing cold, everyone loves to sit around the fireplace. This includes your furry friend! But, sometimes dogs can sit too close and this becomes a hazard. If you have an open fireplace in your home, it’s best to invest in a fireguard. This is going to keep them at a safe distance from the fire and still allow them to enjoy the heat after a winter walk. This is also going to be useful if you have children.




Avoid Christmas Treats

We all love to indulge over the festive season and there is always a choice of delicious Christmas treats on offer. While it’s always tempting to give in to their pleading puppy dog eyes, there are lots of foods at this time of year that can be toxic to our beloved pets. Some of the biggest culprits are mince pies, Christmas pudding, alcoholic beverages and chocolate bars. Make sure to keep these foods out of reach from your pup. This includes raisins, onions, macadamia nuts and sultanas. You may also be tempted to give your doggo the leftovers of the Christmas turkey. But small bones can be a choking hazard, as well as have the potential to splinter off since their cooked. This could be dangerous for your canine’s intestines. We all want our pooches to feel included during this celebratory time of year. So, why not buy your pup a fun toy or dog treat instead?




Supervise Around the Christmas Tree

There is nothing better than a fully decorated, colourful and sparkling Christmas tree! But this is something that can be mesmerising to our pups too. But this is not in a good way. They may try to eat tinsel and baubles that are left lying around. If you have a real Christmas tree, they may even fancy eating some of the needles. This can cause an upset stomach. It’s best to monitor your dog around the Christmas tree and not leave them unattended if they get excited. This can prevent any accidents from happening too, such as them knocking over the tree. In addition, be careful about leaving presents under the tree. With their strong nose, they’ll easily find where the chocolate is hidden and this is toxic to our beloved pets. If you have any holly or mistletoe, make sure this is kept away from your dog. The berries are toxic if they are eaten.




Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Playing in the snow can be so much fun for you and your beloved companion. But there can also be some hazardous substances out there to look out for when you’re on walkies. This includes salt and grit, which is thrown on roads and pavements to help prevent ice. This can irritate your pup’s paws, which causes them to lick. Salt can be toxic when too much is consumed. Antifreeze is another poisonous substance for your pet. Always ensure you wipe your dog’s paws after a walk.


Wishing you all a merry Christmas and a very happy New Year x

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published